Hungarian Name: Sepsiszentgyörgy
Post Code: RO-4000
Inception of Twinning: 25th April 1997
Distance from Kiskunhalas: 700 km
Sepsiszentgyörgy Polgármesteri Hivatala
RO-4000 Sf. Gheorghe-Sepsiszentgyörgy
Str. 1 Decembrie 1918 nr. 2.
Sfântu Georghe is the seat of Covasna county. It is situated in central Romania, where the Carpathian Mountains turn south-west.
The settlement is first mentioned in a document from 1332 and it existed as a small town for centuries after. Its true status as a town dates from the building of the county hall in 1832, which was later complemented by the so-called Hall of Balls and Arcade House. After the armistice following the Hungarian War of Independence against the Habsburg monarchy in 1848 and 1849, the Székely Mikó boarding school was founded, while on the first floor of the Bazaar a girls’ higher elementary school was established. The local printing press was first set to work in 1874 and it was from there that eight years later the Székely Nemzet (‘Székely Nation’) newspaper was launched. As its population grew, new town houses and public buildings designed by Jenő Gyárfás and Károly Kós in various styles and the laying of wide streets gave the town its present attractive appearance. The railway came in 1891, in 1905 a bridge was constructed over the River Olt, and around the turn of the century new industries were established.
There have been factories in Sfântu Georghe since the second half of the 19th century. The first ones dealt with textiles and tobacco. In the 1970s a factory producing car parts and machine tools, a plant manufacturing electric parts for cars and electric motors, and a furniture and plastics factory were all established. In recent years there has been investment in green field sites to the tune of 15 million dollars.
There are thirty-four educational institutions in the town. A college was founded in 1997. Sports facilities include covered and open-air swimming pools, a skating rink, a stadium with an athletics field and many tennis courts. The cultural institutions of Sfântu Georghe are the County Library, theatre companies named after Áron Tamasi and Andrei Mureşanu, the Háromszék Folk Group, the Székely National Museum, the so-called Palace of Culture and the Cultural Centre.
A splendid place to take a trip in any season is the Sugásfürdő bathing place, which lies only 8.5 km outside the town. It is popular for its pure mountain air, and acidulous springs and fumaroles can be found all around. The picturesque setting for the Craft Camp is also not far from the town. Adults and children alike can visit the camp and stay in eco-friendly log cabins from May to September.
For three days every spring hundreds of thousands take part in the region’s most impressive series of cultural, sport and trade events, the Saint George Days.
The highlights of the relationship between Sfântu Georghe and Kiskunhalas involve culture, education and sport. Student exchanges between the Székely Mikó boarding school and the Bibó István grammar school, between Sfântu Georghe’s School of Economics and Public Administration and Kiskunhalas’s II. Rákóczi Ferenc technical school, and between the Kós Károly school-complex and the Garbai Sándor vocational school have taken place for many years. Camps are organized for primary age pupils in both towns; the young sportsmen and women of Sfântu Georghe visit the Rákóczi Cup and Garbai Cup sports contests, while Kiskunhalas youngsters travel to take part in the Sfântu Georghe Youth Gymnastics Competition.
The Saint George Days and the Kiskunhalas Harvest Festival present ideal opportunities for the cultural organizations of the two towns to come together. Among others, Roma minority groups, adult and child choirs, and craft associations have all performed in their twin town’s events. The visits to Kiskunhalas of the Tamási Áron Theatre Company and the Háromszék Folk Group have both met with great success.
Most recently, representatives from the sphere of the economy have formed relationships and met to formulate plans for their future cooperation.